Sorry Chris but this is crap along with the "piracy really helps a film"
theory propagated by Pirates. Look if a filmmaker who paid for his own work
wants to make it available for free than that is their right but it does
not justify stealing from others who don't. The situation is simply acute
with American Independent films and especially foreign films. There will be
virtually be no legal distribution of older films soon and little
production of new ones. Feature films are not individual works and they
cost a small fortune to make, if people and INSTITUTIONS continue to steal
them ( and sorry there are institutions doing this) Let me give you two
recent examples

I am working with a company that has a number of very good foreign films
that they acquire the rights to for US & UK distribution. One of them was
a top prize winning film from Italy made in 2010 that has not yet been
released in the US. I found it up on youtube (neatly chopped in 10 segments)
I had the company file with youtube and it was taken down. First it was
replaced with a snarky message about being forced to remove an item (
really youtube thinks posting an entire film over 100 minutes was legal?)
and THEN the original poster was allowed to post a LINK TO Bittorrent
illegal copy. Thanks a lot. What possible market can't their be when people
not only don't care that they are stealing films, they claim that either
they are doing you a favor or you are just a greedy pig.

The 2nd incident was a conservation with my nephew, an NYU senior. He and
his roommate have never paid for a film they watched at home. All are all
illegal downloads. This is hardly surprising because they go to a school
that condones and engages in illegal copying and streaming ( there I said
it) in which a leading  professor ( who is very active in a variety of
academic and foundation groups on "copyright")tells librarians and
institutions that they should be able to copy and stream any film they want
to use because if the rights holder has not made it available that is just
too bad( trust me I am not exaggerating as he said this to my face).

So when you wonder why the only copy you can find of a film looks like crap
from a bootleg site or there are a lot fewer foreign films around, this is
the reason. People are stealing them so there is no incentive to make a
good legal copy available. Also remember this when the next indie
distributor goes under.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Chris McNevins <chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>wrote:

> **
>
> Hi All,
>
> My cousin sent me this tidbit:
>
> *
> https://plus.google.com/105237212888595777019/posts/Da1wjfvrLxq#105237212888595777019/posts/Da1wjfvrLxq
> *<https://plus.google.com/105237212888595777019/posts/Da1wjfvrLxq#105237212888595777019/posts/Da1wjfvrLxq>

> *****Chris McNevins* | ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR
>
> UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT | HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
>
> 369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM | Storrs, CT 06269-2005 USA
>
> *******PH*: 860-486-3842 |******* FX*: 860-486-6493 |******* EMAIL*: *****
> chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu* <chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant