Just to be straight here....I don't judge 'em, I just pass them
along.... as you say, this may work for some types of media but not for
all, and certainly not for film....

From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Dennis Doros
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:14 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Piracy: another perspective

Just to agree with Jessica here since I have very little time before my
next tennis match. A song or a photo (can) cost very little to produce.
To make a film is relatively very, very expensive. To restore the next
film we're working on, will cost us $100,000. Add to that another
$50,000 to release it. There is a very small profit margin to release
"serious" films in the United States and because it's in the short film
that the NYPL restored and is on our next DVD, BOWERY MEN'S SHELTER,
I'll quote from John Donne's sermon. (It's NOT technically a poem,
folks...)

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as a manor of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

And each illegal download is a clod. And yes, I'm seeing a LOT of indie
distributors facing financial difficulties this year.

Dennis

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Jessica Rosner