Media Collections Colleagues,

I send this out at least in part as a plea for support - moral support
at the very least.  Last week from out of the blue my library director
announced that we were to move our media collection (about 4000 VHS
videos and DVDs) from the media room (with closed stacks) downstairs to
open stacks around the circulation desk.  Although some of the titles
known to be heavily used by faculty for teaching are to be put "behind
the desk" in a limited teaching collection,  most of the titles are to
be placed in an "outer ring" of shelving around the circulation desk
open to patrons and the public.

Though we had been told that we would be investigating and planning for
such a potential move sometime in the new year, this directive came
without warning and certainly without any significant planning or
forethought.   The titles are to be put on open shelving.  There are no
locked cases involved and none of the titles are tattle-taped.   In the
media room patrons had to check-out titles even if they wanted to view
them in the media room.  We could track circulation statistics as well
as maintain a high level of security.  As of the beginning of 2012, no
such control will be in place.  In short, the entire collection will be
unsecure and exposed to whomever deans pull a title off the shelf - to
view or otherwise.

I have expressed my deep concerns, but the answer I have gotten back is
that we "will put things out on the shelves and monitor the shrinkage."
Not the most effective way to manage the collection I have noted. Seems
akin to putting pamphlets on a display that says "take one."  Seems to
me this gets to the basic issue of what a library media collection is
for, and how should it be used and managed?

For the record, my concerns have been echoed by other collages including
several higher up my chain of command.  But, top level administration is
un-swayed by such arguments, though I intend to continue to make them
even as I am compelled to move the collection.  I suspect there are
backroom politics involving space issues ownership (of the media room)
that I will not go into here.  My biggest concern, apart from the sheer
suddenness of it all, is the future security and integrity of the
collection.  To go from a closed room (with check-out viewing only) to
completely open stacks with no security control virtually overnight is
not a good thing in my opinion.  I fear that my circulating collection
is about to be decimated and devalued at the very least.

I suppose that in my shock at what I have been asked to do, I need some
input from those on this list.  My big question to my media colleagues
on this list is this:  Does anyone out there have their media collection
on completely open stacks with no security?    I'll take any input
(advisory or consoling) I can get.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

jared

Jared Alexander Seay

Reference Librarian

Head, Media Collections

Addlestone Library

College of Charleston

Charleston SC 29424

Main Office:           843-953-1428       blogs.cofc.edu/seayj/
<http://blogs.cofc.edu/seayj/>

Media Collections: 843-953-8040       blogs.cofc.edu/media collections
<http://blogs.cofc.edu/mediacollections/>

Addlestone Report:    blogs.cofc.edu/addlestonereport
<http://blogs.cofc.edu/addlestonereport/>

Reference Services:  blogs.cofc.edu/refblog
<http://blogs.cofc.edu/refblog/>