And just to reiterate -- Since that AFI catalog description was written on
BABY FACE some years ago, the uncensored version was discovered by the
great, great film archivist George Willeman (he and this discovery is
featured in *Those Amazing Shadows*) at the LoC in 2004 and is on the DVD.

Dennis

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM, <ghand...@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Lots to pick from.  My faves would include
>
> Baby Face (1933)
>    Directed by Alfred E. Green. Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent,
> Donald Cook, Alphonse Ethier, Henry Kolker, Theresa Harris, Margaret
> Lindsay, Arthur Hohl, John Wayne. It's the age-old story of the girl
> so mistreated by men that she's determined to get revenge. Lilly (Baby
> Face) sleeps her way from basement speakeasy bartender, literally
> floor by floor, to the top floor of a New York office building. Bank
> submanager Jimmy McCoy finds her a job in the bank only to be cast
> aside as she hooks up with the bank's president. "The Hays office
> recommended that the picture be pulled from the theaters for its
> violations of the production code. ...There was extensive
> correspondence between officials of the AMPP and Warner Bros.
> executives Darryl Zanuck and Jack L. Warner regarding various changes
> which were intended to make the film more acceptable to censor boards
> across the country. The main thrust of the changes was to attach an
> ending which showed Lily losing everything she had gained and
> returning to her hometown in order that viewers would not be tempted
> to believe that vice was rewarded. Originally the character of the
> cobbler professed a Nietzchian philosophy which was unacceptable under
> the production code. The character was changed to become instead the
> moral voice of the film, and was used to indicate that the character
> of Lily had been wrong to advance in the by using her body. Also cut
> were the most blantant references to the fact that Lily was being kept
> by men." [AFI Catalog]
>

> Blonde Venus (1932)
>    Directed by Josef von Sternberg. Cast: Marlene Dietrich, Herbert
> Marshall, Cary Grant, Hattie McDaniel. The story of a woman who is
> torn between two men, her successful stage career and her child. Helen
> Faraday is a nightclub singer turned housewife, but when her husband
> needs money to have a life-saving operation, she decides to resume her
> career as a singer to raise money. She undergoes a chain of events
> that separate her from her husband and force her to make a choice
> between her lucrative singing career, and her role as a wife and
> mother. "Herbert Marshall's glimpse of Marlene Dietrich's skinny-dip
> leads to marriage and toddler Dickie Moore, their happiness derailed
> when she must hit the streets to pay for hubbie?s radium poisoning
> treatments. The most outlandish of the Dietrich/von Sternberg
> pictures, highlighted by her gorilla-suited "Hot Voodoo" number, plus
> a lucrative affair with young Cary Grant."
>
> Bombshell(1933)
>    Directed by Victor Fleming. Cast: Jean Harlow, Lee Tracy, Frank
> Morgan, Franchot Tone, Pat O'Brien, Una Merkel, Ted Healy. Screen
> siren Lola Burns is fed up with the scandalous stories her publicist,
> Space Hanlon puts out, the endless arguments on the sets of her films
> [...]

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201-767-3117
Fax: 201-767-3035
email: milefi...@gmail.com
www.milestonefilms.com
www.comebackafrica.com
www.yougottomove.com
www.ontheboweryfilm.com
www.arayafilm.com
www.exilesfilm.com
www.wordisoutmovie.com
www.killerofsheep.com
<http://www.killerofsheep.com>
Join "Milestone Film" on Facebook and Twitter!
and the
Association of Moving Image Archivists <http://www.amianet.org>!

Follow Milestone on Twitter! <http://twitter.com/#!/MilestoneFilms>