From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu [videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu]
on behalf of John Streepy [john.stre...@cwu.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 10:35 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Film festival submissions?

I would have to say that in some ways a film festival submission is a lot like
a studio screener, you may have possession of it, but you do not have rights to
it.  The festival may not have the right to donate these to the library.  It is
good that you are going to make sure from here on out that the wording is in
place for future festivals to allow for donation to the library.

Regards

jhs (former media guy now a lurker)

John H. Streepy

Library-Government Publications
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/Documents

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> "Stanton, Kim" <kim.stan...@unt.edu> 8/3/2012 9:01 AM >>>
I don't have a good legal frame of reference here but this seems extremely
dicey, especially if these are being added to a circulating collection.  If I
were you, I would look at the submission contract one more time. Does the
document indicate that the festivals right to preview would be the exclusive
use of the screener?

There have been discussions on this topic on Videolib in the past, but I don't
know if there was a definitive answer. Maybe someone will chime in with more
info.

Good luck,

Kim Stanton
Head, Media Library