Dear Dorcas & other friends
It's not for me to change the rules & laws, I have to continue to work
distributing I accept the "First sale" rulings but my position is what about
no sale copies, Previews & even Presents, when there was no first sale.
The advice to make the "festivals" sign an agreement is not practical, I
subscribe online to forms, pay on-line submission fee and then get an
address where to send the preview, no way to get an agreement most festivals
will just disregard me, I prefer to trust them and be a part of their
festival.
>From your mail (also Anthony's) your library and most others respect the
rules, I'm letting the issue go I don't have the energy or will to quarrel
over one copy.
 "One Day After Peace" was last week at 3 festivals, New-Jersey, Italy &
North Ireland, next month another one in Italy also in Poland  40 university
libraries  have the film
For me our message of Peace , Salaam, Shalom is more important than one not
polite librarian.

Nahum Laufer
http://onedayafterpeace.com/index.php
http://docsforeducation.com/
Sales
Docs for Education
Erez Laufer Films
Holland st 10
Afulla 18371
Israel

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:30:32 +0000
From: "Haller, Dorcas W." <dhal...@ccri.edu>
Subject: Re: [Videolib] more on World Cat
To: "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>

Dear Nahum,

Rhode Island may be a little state but we do have more than one institution
of higher education. Granted, they all have similar names. I work at the
Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI). The University of Rhode Island
(URI) was the library that received the large donation of films from RIIFF
(Rhode Island International Film Festival). While URI may have received your
two films in that donation, I can tell you they do not appear in the
library's catalog, and are probably not available for borrowing or showing
publicly.

You say your slogan is "I trust you, trust me", but apparently you don't
really mean it, if you spend time checking up on who has a copy of your
films via WorldCat. Perhaps, like Reagan, your motto is really "Trust but
verify"?

You ask a good question about the transfer of the PPR. If one library has
bought a film from you, with PPR, and then withdraws that film from its
collection and transfers it to another library -- this could happen in a
library consortium, for example -- do the performance rights transfer, too?
They have been paid for, haven't they? I don't know the answer to this, I'm
just speculating. Perhaps it would be necessary to state in the sales
agreement that the PPR are not transferable?

Furthermore, you say, "... on every private sale invoice is stated for
"private personal Home Use".  So selling or donating to a library is a break
of trust...". Here at CCRI (and, no doubt, other libraries), we have a few
thousand films on DVD and VHS, both feature films and documentaries. We lend
them, including the ones that have been donated,  "for private personal Home
Use".  We do not lend them to movie theatres, or to student groups for
parties. If someone wants to borrow one of our films to show to publicly, we
advise them about securing performance rights.  I'm not sure I understand
your belief that libraries are lending out their films for public
performance.

Surely, if you want to make sure your preview films aren't donated to
libraries (or private persons) after a film festival, all you have to do is
request that the films in question be returned to you after the festival?

Dusty Haller

Dorcas Haller
Librarian/Professor/Department Chair
Community College of Rhode Island Library
One Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905
dhal...@ccri.edu
Phone: 401-455-6085
Fax: 401-455-6087