We have been circulating multiple media types for over a decade, with
little damage.  They do have a shorter loan period - 3 weeks.

For film formats (vhs, dvd), the media staff review for loan restrictions
from distributors, upcoming bookings, and anticipated high use.

The biggest issue has been damage to DVD's.  The cases often crack,
occasionally leading to scratched discs. 2011 we had over a dozen cracked
dvd cases.  No problems with VHS.

You may want to review the ALA VRT Guidelines for ILL of AV Formats.
http://www.ala.org/vrt/professionalresources/vrtresources/interlibraryloan

Nell Chenault
VCU Libraries