The author takes no responsibility for the offense that some may take to his
hubris, but he does apologize beforehand for his flippant ways.

Well, hello good people.

I suppose the BBC Shakespeare 1978-1985 could be considered ambrosia for
humanists, but I'm curious how this set is incorporated into your overall
accumulation of videos of Shakespeare plays. Is the BBC Hamlet "THE ONE" that
most of your faculty members turn to in their classes, or do you, as many of us
do, have a veritable Rijsttafel of video smackerels for their delight? We've
got a bunch too -- Olivier, Gielgud, Brannagh, Gibson, Hawke, et al. -- and I
would certainly go for a streaming copy of this play, offered by Ambrose now.

But are these Shakepeares out of date in the contemporary classroom? -- there,
I said it! i.e. Or to reverse engineer Renee Zellweger in Jerry Maguire , "Did
they have you at BBC?" What are the approaches that we take with this classic
set in our hoppers now?

I might add, with this possibly-mostly-VHS classic set in our hoppers. Perhaps
I am lazy, but I haven't updated Coriolanus and Richard II into DVDs. On the
other hand, given the way streaming works, I could cherry pick particular
productions on yearly licenses if I knew what was being taught in the coming
semesters. It sure was easier in VHS days to have a box set of 37 videos and
just have them there if anyone wanted to take the plunge. As we all know,
students go running out of the classroom to watch Gielgud video cassettes on
the weekends.

Let a thousand Cymbelines bloom ! **

Randal

==============

Randal Baier
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
(734) 487-2520
rba...@emich.edu
tweets @rbaier – skypes @ randalbaier
"Don't laugh, this is a foreign movie!"

** [Now, don't get me wrong about Cymbeline . Probably my first live
Shakespeare. In 19xx I saw this at American University -- it had a trippy
spinning spiral as a dream scene a la Rod Serling. Also once at Stratford in
post-modern WWI costuming with the occasional Roman helmet -- marvelous
production. Well, the game is up, I visually remember the techie stuff and find
the memorable lines on Google now. Roll tape.]