I don't know if this helps but passwords at University of Florida involve a
unique, secure identifier . If a video was being streamed remotely through the
library or another service, the student would sign in with the same
authentication used when, for example, viewing courses and grades, collecting
university email, etc., or accessing online course materials (so if the video
was linked through a course they might  have to sign in twice).  Other security
measures may be required; for example, my cell phone has to be locked with a
password if I want to read my university email on it.

Users  would not be likely to share this type of authentication information
with others except in an extreme situation (helpless in the hospital, e.g.).
Also, the passwords themselves have to be changed periodically (mine is every 6
months, but students I think get a year). I believe that students who have
graduated still have access to the system for a while after graduation, but not
more than 6 months or so.

Study abroad. Some courses taught abroad make use of video and the teachers
might want their students to be able to access a particular video (though I
suspect they would want to have a hard copy if they were going to show it in
class rather than depend on a stream). Also, if the material is relevant to the
visit (i.e. they are in London and it's a significant documentary about London)
students might want to view it on their own. But the likelihood that actual
Londoners would see it because UF students in London were watching it streamed
from the US is pretty small.

I am guessing that most higher ed schools have strong authentication procedures
like this because of the relatively recent laws protecting student data.

Judy Shoaf