Lindsay,
When our Media Library was a closed collection, we used separate, sequential
numbers for each physical item in a multi-volume set. One reason we used this
arrangement was that we entered each title as an independent entity. The entire
set could be searched by the "series" title; individual titles received more
detailed descriptions and subject headings; and the (sometimes varying) lengths
of programs were easy to specify to each title. Our faculty seemed to like this
arrangement since they were usually looking for one or two titles from a
series.  When multiple titles in the series appeared on one physical item, we
still entered each title individually, added a note to each entry stating that
the DVD/VHS also contained X number of title(s), and assigned the physical item
one call #. Our on-line catalog did not have a problem with multiple titles
having the same call #. For serial programs (Nova, Frontline, American
Experience, etc.) from which we purchased random titles, we assigned the next
number in line when the program arrived to be cataloged. We relied on the
on-line catalog to collate these programs by doing a "series" search.

Thanks,
Gail

Gail Fedak
Director, Education Resource Channel @ Middle Tennessee