Hi,

I always got a message box telling me that a certain library cannot be
> found. Did you run the executable through the terminal, or by
> double-clicking? In worst case, you can always run in a debugger to find
> out more about the reason for a crash.

I've been running it from Qt Creator, and it gave me no feedback
whatsoever, even when debugging it. Now I tried launching it manually from
the build folder, and all it took to make it work was to bring the
libarchive.dll into the same folder as the executable. Wasn't Qt Creator
supposed to take care of this for me?

My Qt 5.3 installation comes with prebuilt static libraries for Visual
> Studio 2012. There are articles on the web on how to do the same with
> MinGW, but since we only need the static version for deploying the release,
> it's probably sufficient to use these prebuilt libraries.

Are you sure it came with statically prebuilt libraries? As far as I know
there are no statically prebuilt distributions of Qt. Everyone must compile
their own static version of Qt.

Apparently, using the GitHub GUI only cloned the benchmark directory and
> libarchive but not zlip.  Running the submodule update command from the
> shell got me to where I needed to be!

Ah yes, the GitHub GUI. It's only good for viewing diffs and commits. Using
it for anything more advanced than that will likely get things broken. I
learned that the hard way. :)

I am almost there.  However, when I try to run the compiled program it
> fails because archive.dll is missing.  libarchive.dll was included with
> libarchive, although I don't know if you are linking to it or not.  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

If everything went ok, you should have libarchive's binaries
in build\external\libarchive\bin folder. Try copying those to the build
root folder ( where the executable is ). That solved it for me.

I recommend that you start with a fresh clone, because libarchive and

zlib are no longer git submodules, but need to be cloned separately.

I guess my fears of complications when integrating both zlib and libarchive
with CMake were justified. Anyway, I think it's a lot better this way since
the QMake build is now a little less unnecessary. :)

@Namik: Since zlib and libarchive are built externally, it should be
> possible to support this with QMake by pointing to the respective
> relative folders in external. Also, please be careful with compiler
> flags in CMakeLists.txt, use "if(MINGW)" or similar to not break

compilation on other compilers than your own.

I'll try out the new CMake build system now. Will update QMake to utilize
the recent zlib and libarchive developments after that.

Regards,
Namik