Hi Regina,

 > I am an Undergraduate student from Imperial College currently work on a
> project regarding hardware acceleration with FPGAs using OpenCL. I was
> wondering if there is anyway to run ViennaCL iterative solvers on an
> FPGA with Altera SDK for OpenCL?

We have never tried to run ViennaCL on an Altera SDK. The main reason is
a technical one: As far as I know, the Altera SDK requires to provide
all OpenCL sources upfront in order to synthesize the hardware. However,
the OpenCL kernels in ViennaCL are generated at runtime and just-in-time
compiled.

As far as I can tell, you could extract the relevant OpenCL kernels from
ViennaCL and use these to synthesize the necessary hardware. On the
other hand, however, you are very likely limited by memory bandwidth
anyway, so you won't see any big gains in terms of either performance or
performance per Watt on an FPGA. The absence of caches might make
matters worse.

Either way, I'd be happy to hear about the results of your project one
you're finished. :-)

Best regards,
Karli