(Pha^`n II):
Cross-booting:
----------------
"http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=637552";

FreeBSD - native. Debian (on VMWare on FreeBSD) - virtual. Same
CPU/BIOS/Harddisk & adapter.
Debian  - native. FreeBSD (on VMWare on Debian) - virtual. Same
CPU/BIOS/Harddisk & adapter.

Virtual-booting:
------------------
"http://www.xs4all.nl/~groenewe/knoppix/Virtual_Kanotix.txt";

"Interested in checking out the latest Knoppix or Kanotix Release?
Don't want to reboot the machine everytime, but instead run it within
your running OS (any VMplayer-supported Windows or Linux distribution)?

Try this:

1. Download the free VMware Player for your OS:
   <http://www.vmware.com/download/player/>
   (run RPM version under Knoppix/Kanotix live-CD: See vmplayer_knoppix.sh)

2. Unpack the archive
   <www.hgz.com/knoppix/KANOTIX-2005-04-VMPlayer.zip>
   onto your harddisk somewhere (8MB).
   (Contains simple VMplayer setup for running Kanotix)

3. Download the latest Kanotix CD-ROM .ISO image file
   <http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/preview/KANOTIX-2005-04.iso>
   into the same folder.

4. Open the Kanotix.vmx virtual machine (with VMplayer).

Notes:
It may be a good idea to first check the settings configured by opening
Kanotix.vmx in a text editor; for example, if you want to use an ISO image
other than Kanotix-2005-04.iso, you will need to update the IDE1:0
configuration.
Initially, the configured NVRAM (CMOS) boot options are set to boot from the
Kanotix CD image directly, but this can be changed by hitting F2 inside the
virtual machine (quickly!) at boot time.
If you have problems getting the virtual machine screen size set to your
current desktop size, uncomment the "svga.maxWidth" and "svga.maxHeight"
options in the Kanotix.vmx file and set these to the wanted virtual desktop
dimensions.

The virtual machine is set to initially use 128 MB of memory, so you'd better
have that amount of free memory available. Therefore, do not attempt to run
this VMplayer configuration on any machine having less than 256 MB memory!
(or prepare to be disappointed...)

If you change the Virtual BIOS boot options boot order so the 8 MB "harddisk"
image is selected first, a grub configuration with preconfigured boot options
will be started by default, demonstrating how to set up a custom "Virtual
Kanotix" with your own favorite boot options (sometimes called poor-man's
or frugal installation).
Note that if you use the poor man's boot configuration you will need to
update the initrd (miniroot.gz) and kernel (vmlinuz) on the harddisk image
(by virtual-booting directly from the virtual CD again) if you want to use
a newer Kanotix CD-ROM .ISO version that has updated versions of these files.

If you want more virtual disk space, download the latest Qemu and create
extra .vmdk image files with qemu-img. These can be mounted by editing the
Kanotix.vmx virtual machine configuration file. Accessing files on your
physical machine can be done using Samba; please keep in mind though that
this will reduce or even nullify the security advantages that running an OS
in a virtual machine has...

The virtual machine setup should also be able to boot any other live-CD or
-DVD that has drivers/kernel modules or direct kernel support for the VMware
virtual video and network devices.
Virtual-booting directly from a CD or DVD is also possible if you configure
a CD-ROM device in cdrom-raw mode, see Kanotix.vmx for an example.

I have succesfully used K3B to burn a new Kanotix CD from a virtual
Kanotix session running under Windows. (Who needs Nero anyway?) ;-)

Tested configurations:
- Virtual Kanotix 2005-04, running under VMplayer 1.0.1.19317-linux-RPM
  under physical Kanotix 2005-04 :-)
- Virtual Kanotix 2005-04, running under VMplayer 1.0.1.19317-windows
  on Windows 2000 Professional SP4 English.
- Knoppix 4.02 DVD image both under Windows 2000 and Kanotix :-)

So, is anyone still using VMware's "Browser Appliance Virtual Machine"
(based on a virtual-HD install of Ubuntu 5.10) when you can use Virtual
Knoppix or Kanotix instead?

Enjoy! "