Hi everybody,

I did some recreational programming[1] yesterday... something else than
editing my progress report :-)

I've added an area at the top of http://viff.dk/ that shows the four
most recent changes in the Mercurial repository and most recent posts on
this mailing list.

The page is generated every third hour right now, but that can be
tweaked. We could even make it update by a hook in the repository and a
procmail script connected to the mailinglist, but for now I just made a
simple cronjob.

Please let me know what you think, should there be more/less news?
Should we limit the number of characters in the titles of the news items
so that they stay on one line? The possibilities are endless :-)

This was of course made Python (112 lines of code plus 250 for the
index.html template) using Genshi[2] and Feedparser[3]. Both of these
tools are excellent: They are simple to use, yet they solve difficult
and annoying problems.

[1]: http://jtauber.com/blog/2006/03/11/recreational_programming/
[2]: http://genshi.edgewall.org/
[3]: http://feedparser.org/