----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Batov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Cc: "Roger E. Blumberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 5:49 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: vihuela grande

> On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 3:40 PM Roger E. Blumberg wrote:
>
> >> Following the lines of the resent discussion of large-size vihuelas and
> >> guitars here is a late 15th - early 16th century Catalan picture (which
> >> isn't very often reproduced) that shows what appears to be a sort of
> > "double
> >> bass" size vihuela or viola da mano:
> >
> >> http://www.vihuelademano.com/current/pages/vihuela-grande.htm
>

> > Alexander, is this image still around? Pretty please ;')
> > Thanks
> > Roger
>
> Thank you, Roger, for pointing this out.
> There was a hard drive failure on my server about a week ago and, although
> they promised to restore everything as it was, this page seems to have had
> 'mysteriously disappeared. It is back there now:
> http://www.vihuelademano.com/current/pages/vihuela-grande.htm
>
> Alexander

thanks much. Boy that is a monster!, and a gold mine of a picture, 4-in-1.

The multi-part (long strips) fretboard detail on the bass instrument is
reminiscent of at least one early Spanish viol picture I've seen, 1475-85,
Heremitage of St. Feliu (St. Félix) in Xàtiva (Valencia, Spain). This is
from another of those recently and heavily restored frescos
http://www.thecipher.com/viol_1475-85_Valencia_Spain_lrg-clr-deta.jpg

It's also nice to see more pluckers on the order of Timoteo Viti's small
bodied bowed viol (the one with two bridges)
http://www.thecipher.com/viol_TimoteoViti_Madonna-Child_c1500_Italy_clr_deta
.jpg
compare to
http://www.vihuelademano.com/current/images/vihuela-mano2.jpg
and
http://www.thecipher.com/viola_sine_arculo_c1485-1510_detv2.jpg
and
http://www.thecipher.com/viol_4str10fret-SardiniaItalyc1500xsm_det.jpg

here's another fairly large French bass plucker, 1508
http://www.thecipher.com/viol-guitar_GonesseOrgan_1508_France_det1.jpg
from this painted organ case balcony (Abbey Eglise Saint Pierre et Saint
Paul)
http://www.thecipher.com/viola-GonesseOrganItselfFrance1508_deta.jpg

do you or anyone have more?  I'm a glutton for pictures (I think you can
tell), they're pretty much all we have to go on.  What else have I missed in
that or other threads, I wonder, and plead ;')

thanks again
Roger