I have been too scared to retune for the de Visee suite, and have never
   heard it performed. I wonder if retuning was involved or re-stringing?
   French lute players (much earlier than de Visee) searched for different
   resonances, and that lead to unmeasured preludes as they explored what
   was unique about each tuning. Modern acoustic guitar players also have
   many different tunings - different resonance and different campanellas,
   different keys also. See
   [1]http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WarrenAllen/tunings/tunings
   .htm

   It seems that most plucked instrument players, and bowed (come to think
   of it), get bored (possibly - boredom is a very creative force) with
   standard tuning. We often discuss baroque guitar matters as if the
   player only had one instrument. Professionals and those who could
   afford it would have had quite a few instruments, some with different
   bourdon settings, and possibly some with different tunings.

   Monica states that 'they completely alter the sound quality of the
   instrument' - well, that was the whole point, I imagine.

   Rob