At 10:35 AM 9/22/2008, Michael Gillespie wrote:
>    Friends,
>
>    I read somwthere that the tuning pattern is more important than the
>    shape (of the instrument), like the theorboed guitar - lute shaped,
>    guitar tuned. Just a thought.

I would say "it depends."  That would make the modern mandolin (beginning
in the mid 1700s) more a violin than of any plucked lute-like kin.  Does
that mean if I develop, popularize, and standardize a different tuning on
an existing instrument built for an older tuning, have a transformed it
into something totally different, something it was not built to be?  (The
answer in my mind to this hypothetical is "no.")  Tuning is only one piece
of any instrument and its tradition.

Best,
Eugene