   From: David van Ooijen [mailto:davidvanooi...@gmail.com]
   Sent: Mon 12/29/2008 3:01 AM
   To: Vihuela List
   Subject: [VIHUELA] b-guitar hero

   Slightly OT.
   Yesterday I was playing baroque guitar in he opening choir of the
   fifth cantata of Bach's Christmas Oratorio. Changed many orchestra
   members' idea of the piece in the process, btw: off-beat strumming and
   golpe on the rests in the bass was not what they were used to. ;-) It
   was a small band: four violins, viola, cello, double bass, two oboe,
   bassoon, cembalo and just four singers. Everybody except the cello,
   double bass and cembalo where standing up. I was standing up too.
   Standing up I blended better, had better projection and better
   visibility. While I was strumming away looking at the 500+ audience, I
   couldn't help feeling like a pop guitar hero, and it was very hard not
   to move like one. I'm not a pop guitar player at all, but the
   association with strumming-chords-while-standing was very strong.
   Just some observations.
   David - holidays for a full week!