Monica Hall wrote:
   Just to let you all know that the final version of my thoughts on the
   subject of the Guitarre theorbee is now on my own web page -

   [1]www.monicahall.co.uk

   It includes a staff notation transcription of all twelve pieces from
   the Gallot manuscript.

Quite an intricate argument! So, for the Gallot pieces, the bass line is either implausibly low or - if an octave higher - then just one extra course tuned to G would give the same range as seven (!) extra basses? Sorry, if I've misunderstood.

It might be slightly interesting to note that the normal 7-string Russian guitar (of the 19th century) had a version with extra basses but was tuned so that the lowest string was only one tone lower than the ordinary 7-string version. The ordinary Russian guitar has the seventh string at D, the Russian 10-string guitar has the lowest note at C. Yet, quite often, music for the 7-string guitar directs the player to lower the seventh string to C. So the ordinary, 7-string Russian guitar covers the same range as the 10-string version. But the extra basses are not primarily functioning to extend the range of bass notes but perhaps for sonority or to make some bass notes easier to play. Maybe something similar is intended for the Gallot instrument?

Was it mentioned in the recent discussion that at least one maker is offering a guitar with extra basses - for playing the music of Granata...and...Gallot?

Stuart