These are my sentiments too on the whole.

Most of Valdambrini's continuo exercises just consist of matching up
alfabeto chords with the bass note.   There are just a small number which
are written in tablature.   I have scanned and put a sample of these on my
page at
www.earlyguitar.ning.com  if anyone wants to look at them.

Both Corbetta and Foscarini also include tables matching up alfabeto chords
but they include some examples in tablature. Those of Corbetta do not always
reproduce the bass line - for example in the first example on p.73 in his
1643 book the 4-3 suspension is in the bass part. This is perfectly acceptable - how else could he have arranged it. Most of these excercises don't use higher positions on the fingerboard.

As far as the alfabeto song books are concerned the little information we have does seem to indicate that the guitar was not intended to reproduce the bass line etc. but just strummed the basic chords. It is an anachronism to do anything much more elaborate than that if what you are trying to is to re-create the ambience in which they were first performed. The original idea was for the singer to accompany themselves, something which few people do today.

I am very fond of quoting what these people say so here are the comments of Marini and Milanuzzi.

Marini - Note that  in some places you will find that the alfabeto does not
fit with the bass line. This is because it is the wish of the author to
accompany the voice in as many ways as possible rather than while  by paying
heed to the requirements of one instrument, he is  constrained by those of
the other,  since the guitar lacks many proper consonances.

Milanuzzi - Note that so as to create a different effect from that of the
chitarrone or keyboard  when accompanying these little arias with the
guitar, in many places I have given the guitar a different chord from that
assigned to the bass line intended for other instruments, all of which are
intended to make the arias as beautiful as possible.

Rather later there were obviously attempts at providing more elaborate accompaniments but strumming is still an option.

I don't think the continuo exercices have any bearing on how the solo music should be played. As far as using a different method of stringing is concerned both Sanz and Carre mention this as an option. It makes perfectly good sense to do that. After all there were two different sizes of theorbo - for solo music and accompanying and all manner of experiments with stringing and tuning of other plucked string instruments. And inventories of composer's assets also indicate that they owned a large number of instruments.

I cannot understand why a monolithic approach should be adopted towards the 5-course guitar. Players are not entirely consistent and predictable in what they do. We can get some ideas from what they say about what is appropriate but then it is down to us.

Monica

  Valdambribi - since he requires fully re-entrant for his solo pieces
  but suggests bourdons for BC.   Assuming he had (at least) two
  instruments strung accordingly, did he never play a solo with the BC
  guitar when he couldn't bother (or find time) to change instruments?
  Certainly his facility with partial strumming would have allowed him to
  avoid some problems tho' he would need to have octaves on the fourth
  and fifth as well as a bourdon on his BC guitar to play his frequently
  occuring solo campanellas.

  All mere speculation of course but, I suggest, the sort of idiomatic
  flexibility which may have been employed by individual players.

  But to return to the main thrust: yes we ought to play the full
  alfabeto chord unless there are clear problems (eg  technical
  feasibility). I recall remarking some time ago that I view early guitar
  music as being closer to unaccompanied violin works than pieces for
  lute: generally we have single note melodies/decorated passages
  punctuated by chords rather than part writing.

  M.