Dear Lucas,

   Around 30 years ago I made a chitarra battente  for the tenor Riccardo
   Marasco (at that time living Florence).

   It was based on a Sellas instrument with an arched back but the neck
   was shorter than a comparable gut strung guitar. I think the string
   length was around 62cm rather than around 68/69cm I used for gut string
   guitars on this same mould.  But of course the bridge was much higher
   up (ie further towards the neck) than a gut strung guitar (around 13cm
   rather than 9cm) and this therefore still allowed the 11th fret to be
   at the neck/body joint. In retrospect I might now make the neck even
   shorter since, when I came to string it up,  I had problems bringing
   the first course up to pitch (he wanted it to be able to come up to
   A440) without breaking. This was also partly due to using iron
   harpsichord strings which I thought was the closest I'd get to the old
   iron/steel strings.

   I've dug out my stringing and I'm interested to see that I put octaves
   on both the 4th and 5th course with the bourdon outwards (ie struck
   first with the thumb) - why? - I can't recall now.

   1. e'  0.018mm iron x 2

   2. b  0.023mm iron  x 2

   3. g  0.028mm brass   x 2

   4. d'  0.019mm iron
       d  0.039mm brass

   5.  a  0.025mm iron
       A  0.050mm brass  (I would have liked to have used twisted brass
   for this but couldn't master the technology!)

   I based this spec on giving around 3.5Kg nominal tension with
   approximately equal feel accross all courses - rather higher than a
   comparative gut strung instrument but I think based on the sort of
   playing ie robust strumming with a plectrum which I expected it to be
   used for. And, of course, also evidenced by the need for a bend in the
   belly like the metal strung Neopolitan mandolin.

   I think the use of the same gauge string for all courses might be a
   later peasant usage (ie multiple gauges being not readily available in
   more recent times ie 20th century) but I know of no sources for
   stringing from around the time the instrument seems to have been used
   in the 18th (or 19th) century.

   MH.

   I've dug out the stri