From: Chris Despopoulos [despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:39 PM
To: Stuart Walsh; Nelson, Jocelyn
Cc: Vihuelalist
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: some Ulm mandore pieces

Always one to toot my own horn (or pluck my own strings, as it were), I have
posted some recordings on my personal site at:
http://cudspan.net/baroque/

Two tracks are some old recordings I did on the mandore, and three others are
on the baroque guitar...  I keep meaning to do better, but where's the time?

Anyway, the mandore recordings are of Chancy's Suite #5, and 3 of his series of
6 branles.  The tablatures are for a 4-string instrument, and as I understand
it, to be played with a plectrum.  At least that's what I was taught by Didier
Le Roux and other members of l'Ensemble Gabriel Leone (I was *very* fortunate
to attend a class that reviewed the mandolin.  I never made it past the
mandore.)

In spite of being played with a plectrum, the Chancy music is full of hidden
polyphony.  For the miniature qualities it has on the surface, I believe the
music is vast in scope...  if only I could reveal a fraction of its depth and
breadth I'd be happy.

Anyway, for your enjoyment...  Vive le mandore!

cheers                      cud