I don't think he ever did (the music just doesn't go lower than the open A string) but I suppose there is a presumption that it was most likely for a 5-string (i.e. single strung) guitar. 5-string guitars did certainly exist at the time. Also, some original 5-course guitars were converted to 5-string ones by changing their original bridges.

Alexander

PS: If I remember it correctly there are also a few arrangements of his music for the seven string Russian guitar (supposedly from his period in Russia between 1804 - 14).