On 08/02/2011 10:09, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

   Dear Stuart,

   You write
    'what do you mean by "elaborate treble dominated style"? Is it this: a
   predominantly melodic line interspersed with occasional chords? Which
   composers are you thinking of?'
   I don't know what others are thinking of, but I mentioned that the
   similarity between much (especially Italian) guitar writing and that
   for unaccompanied violin by such as Schmelzer, Biber, Matteis had
   struck me some years ago. Almost all guitar composer exhibit this in
   pieces from time to time but some particular ones which I recall being
   examplars of the fashion were: Pellegrini(1650), Carbonchi(1640),
   Pesori(1648), Coriandoli(1670), Valdambrini (1646/7), Bottazzari
   (1663), Granata (various)....... A good example of the practice in
   operation and a interesting perspective on this style is also shed by
   those few pieces which actually do have an independent bass line as
   well as guitar tablature (eg Granata Op 5 of 1674 for violin, bass
   violin and guitar) - the guitar 'bass' is often skeletal at best and
   often non-existant whereas the guitar does double most of the
   independent upper melodic line.

   Well, looking at  Granata's  Novi Capricci Armonic Musicali: the first
   few pieces have a guitar part on the left hand side (in tab) and a
   score for violin and a ('viola'=bass?) part on the right. If it's
   assumed that the guitar is playing along with the bass line (and
   violin), nevertheless the guitar parts stand as pieces in their own
   right with basic, sketchy, two-part writing (plus chords here and
   there).  There are passages which are just the melodic line but still
   most of the writing is rudimentary two-part....but like much writing
   for guitar before  or since.
   Stuart

   Of course if anyone really wanted to push the matter and insist that a
   proper through bass was always present, I suppose it might be possible
   to construct a bass line (of sorts) from the lowest notes (depending on
   stringing!) of the strummed chords......

   Martyn