On 04/03/2011 17:25, Monica Hall wrote:

In the absence of direct evidence (ie music notated in earlier sources)
  perhaps, members of the jury, we need to reflect on circumstantial
evidence; for example 15th century iconography showing right arms/hands
  held in a more strumming than a plucking position..... ie right hand
  not resting on the belly but held above the instrument - maybe even
  higher up towards the neck/body join.

But we also need to consider whether they are actually playing with a plectrum. And Stuart seems to assume that as far as the lute is concerned chords were always played with the thumb and fingers with a separate finger for each note. How many sources actually say that this is so? As far as I am aware the ring finger was not much used so how do you play 4, 5 and 6 part chords?

Brushing up with the thumb or down with the i or i and m (or both!). I'm not quite sure what Martin is doing on the first full chord of his latest 'new piece of the month' but it must be a combination of these.

http://www.luteshop.co.uk/month/1103.mp3

Now we could be on the delightful topic of what counts as a strum... This dignified Prelude that Martin plays is not a strumfest.

Stuart

Monica

  regards

  Martyn