Many thanks for this Monica,

   I'm very grateful for your scholarly translations of these (on which I
   hoped I had based my own paraphrase) and, of course, other contemporary
   sources on strumming techniques.

   Might I just focus on the particular repicco Chris mentioned and which
   was the subject of my initial response. Your translation of the French
   for this particular strum is

   'You will see the example of a batterie placed in a caprice de chacone
   [p.72]
   where the note with the longer stem indicates that the thumb should be
   used
   for both up and down strokes;  and you will observe that when  you see
   four
   notes tied together, you ought to use the second finger descending, and
   then
   after with the first finger you will do the same upwards in a very
   quick
   beat; and you will continue always with the fingers and the thumb
   following
   the example which you will see there'.

   The bit I'm focusing on is that highlighted in italics above on how to
   strum the 'four notes tied together' This I think is also my take on it
   paraphrased as:  '....Note that the four tied beats strike down the
   first note with the middle finger then with the index and then the same
   as upstroke'.

   What Corbetta (and most contemporary writers) fail to mention is the
   involvement of the forearm and wrist. Indeed many years ago when I
   first encountered this passage, I attempted to play the instructions
   with a still/stiff arm and wrist (anchored down on the belly with the
   little finger) simply by flicking the fingers one after the other and
   then in reverse - needless to say the results were very unsatisfactory.
   When the penny dropped - that the forearm and wrist were a vital part
   of the mechanisim the whole strum suddenly made sense - I wonder if
   others shared this experience?

   I find that by careful seperation of the index and middle (now touching
   each other as almost the one digit;  now well seperated) one can
   produce a variety of effects to suit the music whilst still adhering to
   the instruction. The use of the added thumb allows, of course, an extra
   degree of (especially more forceful) expression where required. Indeed,
   Marchetti's instructions for this particular strum seem very similar
   except he advocates the use of the thumb in place of the index which, I
   suggest, gives a more rubust and aggressive sound to the strum.

   I also find this is very suitable for two consecutive up-beat
   semiquaver strums often found as the upbeat to an Allemande which, if
   articulated by seperate up strums of the two digits is laboured and
   unrythmical but if simply the two digits acting in one up strum (ie the
   second part alone of Corbetta's four notes tied together strum) any
   difficulty is overcome.

   As said in my original email, I think there is still a long way to go
   in playing strums in the rather less aggresive and more refined way
   than often heard on modern recordings. As also said, I recognise that
   mastering these strums in a style consistent with what the early
   writers wrote is not easy but I do think we need to very much address
   this issue before we (myself included!) can say with any confidence
   that we are playing as the Old Ones themselves expected and expected to
   hear.

   Finally, in none of this do I see any place for the third finger: not
   only is it not mentioned but I suggest it puts the hand in a position
   and requires a longer forearm/wrist movement if three digits are
   employed than with two; the reicco seems to be a generally fast
   undulation producing a continuos sound rather than a heavily accented
   down and upbeat.

   In short, I think there's still a long way to go in developing this
   peculiar technique and differentiating it from modern flamenco play.
   Santiago Da Murcia seems to have, unwittingly, played a large part in
   encouraging this unhistorical approach by his wonderful Spanish dances
   - but I wonder what he might have made of some modern performances....

   regards

   Martyn
   Well - before we start to discuss this... it might be helpful to have
   English translations of what Corbetta says in the preface - and to have
   hand the music.   The French preface is slightly different for the
   Italian
   French Preface
   You will see the example of a batterie placed in a caprice de chacone
   [p.72]
   where the note with the longer stem indicates that the thumb should be
   used
   for both up and down strokes;  and you will observe that when  you see
   four
   notes tied together, you ought to use the second finger descending, and
   then
   after with the first finger you will do the same upwards in a very
   quick
   beat; and you will continue always with the fingers and the thumb
   following
   the example which you will see there.
   In another chaconne [p.75] there is another batterie which I have
   printed
   previously (desia).  And because it has the gift of pleasing, I wanted
   place it here, where you will see that there are six strokes in the
   form of
   quavers.  You will play four [quavers] on the first, second and third
   strings carrying the hand downwards; after you will make the other two
   strokes on the two fourth and fifth strings carrying the hand upwards
   without touching the others; after changing the fingering [of the left
   hand]
   you do the same with the other six. Changing the fingers for the next
   four
   which follow, you will strike the first chord a little strongly and the
   other three very sweetly.  You will play the others in the same way
   changing
   the fingering as you commence the first of each six.  This is why you
   will
   find an "f" that indicates that you strike rather strongly on the first
   stroke and in this way the batterie will be more delicate.
   Italian Preface
   You will see an example of a repicco placed in a ciaccona [on p.72],
   where
   the longer tail to the note signifies the thumb;  having already begun
   with
   the fingers [i.e. played the chord once with all four fingers], then do
   the
   same, upwards with the thumb, making the same upwards.  Observe that
   the
   four tied notes signify that one must first make the note with second
   finger
   and then with the first  close to it, and thus again as upstrokes at a
   quicker tempo, and continue with the fingers and thumb.
   In another next ciaccona [on p.75] you will see another repicco already
   placed in the press where to confusion I have place the same more
   perfect
   thing. Where you see six quaver strokes, play four of them from the
   third
   course downwards, and moving the hand make the next two strokes on the
   other
   two courses, the first and second i.e. 5th & 4th], without touching the
   others [1st , 2nd & 3rd]. After changing the fingers on the frets, play
   in
   the same way for the other six quavers, and changing the fingers at the
   next
   four, strike the first quaver loudly, and the other three softly.  Do
   the
   same on changing the fingers at the other [groups of four] until the
   first
   six begin again.  Where you find an f this means play the first of the
   four
   beats loudly, and thus you will achieve a beautiful repicco.
   Marchetti's exlanation of the repicco is much simpler...
   The repicco is made giving four strokes, that is two down and two up.
   The
   first stroke is played downwards  with the middle finger and the second
   down
   with the thumb; the third  stroke is played upwards with the thumb and
   the
   fourth up with the index finger playing however [with the index finger]
   only
   the cantino, or first course.   One repicco equals two strokes.
   Over to you now...
   Monica