Hmmm...  Does a realised bass part always have to contain the bass
   exactly as written in the staff notation as its lowest line?  Of
   course, ideally yes (and on the keyboard always yes) but many theorbo
   continuo realisations, for example, are obliged to adapt the bass
   because of lack of chromatic notes in the instrument's lower register
   (or other reasons) and so must take the realised bass higher than some
   of the other lower parts in the work. Thus, in a couple of Locke
   anthems I have in front of me at this moment, the occassional low Eb
   will have to be taken at the octave higher (and  above the second and
   third choir sung bass lines) if I'm going to play a natural E elswhere
   in the work.

   A guitar playing an Alfabeto realisation will similarly have the bass
   note somewhere in the chord - hopefully at the bottom if the guitar has
   bourdons on both bass courses (as my continuo guitar does) - but if not
   then elsewhere in the full chord.  We, and others, have often pointed
   out that the peculiar stringing of the guitar (with high octaves
   outwards etc) when strummed produces block chord sounds rather than a
   contrapuntal accompaniment - I see no practical reason why this isn't a
   realisation (ie a conversion into sound, a making known of) the
   harmonies implied/required by the bass.  Of course, a melodic bass
   instrument is these situations is a bonus: but also note the discussion
   sometime ago about Marini's songs and the use of a seperate bass with
   the guitar....... Here is his observation  "Note that  in some places
   you will find that the alfabeto does not fit with the bass line. This
   is because it is the wish of the author to  accompany the voice in as
   many ways as possible rather than while, by paying heed to the
   requirements of one instrument, he is constrained by those of  the
   other, since the guitar lacks many proper consonances."
   I sense he thinks it a valid 'realisation' - if imperfect.

   regards

   Martyn

   .