To: "Vihuela List" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 12:55 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Caccini's instrument

Dear Lex,

One hesitates to mention it without 101 caveats, but what about a
theorbo in G? Evidence for such an instrument is pretty thin on the
ground (pace Praetorius), but at least some of Caccini's songs are in
flattish keys which would favour a theorbo in G.

I have not played any Caccini for a long time and cannot remember, but
could the missing notes be provided by re-tuning the relevant string -
e.g. have F# at the expense of F natural - or are there songs where you
need both?

The other possibility is that Caccini did not have only the theorbo in
mind, but wrote bass parts for all instruments, expecting the player to
adapt what he saw for his own particular instrument. Lutes were more
common than theorboes, and may have been used by at least some people
buying Caccini's book. The "missing" chromatic notes would have been
available as stopped notes on the lute.

Best wishes,

Stewart.