Dear Lex, As you say it does all seem a bit endless......

   But might I suggest one reason (amongst others) why it may seem so:
   only yesterday I gave a direct quote from Caccini's own, very
   influential, book which very clearly has Caccini saying the chitarrone
   is the most suitable instrument of any to accompany the voice. Since
   you're cropping messages others may miss what Caccini himself had to
   say, so here is that earlier message again. I say others since I've
   seen messages saying what about theorbos in a nominal G as well as
   those in A.......

   Thanks Lex,
   Caccini can speak for himself:  'the chitarrone is better suited to
   accompany the voice, especially the tenor, than any other
   instrument'.(G. Caccini, Le Nuove Musiche (Florence, 1602), sig. C2V
   'Ai Lettori  ... del Chitarrone ... essendo questo strumento piu atto
   ad accompagnare la voce, e particolarmente quella del Tenore, che
   qualunque altro.')
    Further, Piccinini(1623) tells us Caccini used a chitarrone  to
   accompany himself before 1594.
   The chitarrone did not, of course, at first have numerous long extended
   basses. However it was tuned in a nominal A or G so, as previously
   pointed out, the same problem would arise even if tuned in G with a
   sung d and f# in the bass.
    I suspect Striggio was using the term lute in a generic sense:  it is
   certainly not 'wrong' to use any form of lute from around this time to
   perform his songs. See Rob Dowland Var of lute lessons for example and
   Ms 704  Bib Con Brussels which contains intabulated settings of songs
   by Caccini and his contemporaries.
    regards
    Martyn

   Bob Spencer's article in Early Music (kindly made available by David
   Van Edwards on his website) is still the most compact summary on these
   instruments.

   regards to all (croppers or not)

   Martyn