I know this is not a viking issue, at least 99% sure.

The vikmapslayer.c source file contains the following line.
 const gchar *mapdir = g_getenv("VIKING_MAPS");

I added VIKING_MAPS=/media/VikingMaps/.viking-maps/ to my /etc/environment
file. I opened up a terminal and the variable gets set.

If I run viking from the command line it picks up that variable and uses it. If
I run viking from the menu or double clicking file.viking file it doesn't pick
up the variable.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

Mark