As many of you already know, viking uses gpsbabel for many features.
  Most of them concern format conversions. But, currently, only some
  formats are offered via viking. I not really know why viking does not
  support all formats supported by gpsbabel. And recently, I discovered
  that gpsbabel is able to list all the formats and options it knows.

I will try to take a look.   One concern is that gpsbabel seems inclined
to require QT for the command-line version!   But it seems likely better
to put up with that bloat than to do anything else.