I *think* I'm beginning to understand all this, I suspect there's some
bits of very old history of mine (and of vile) in all this.

Firstly I don't quite know from where I got the following code (which is in
my .vilerc):-

    perl "Vile::register 'dir', 'dir', 'Dir Browser', 'dir.pl'"

    perl "Vile::register 'startserv', 'Vileserv::start', \
        'Start Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
    perl "Vile::register 'stopserv', 'Vileserv::stop', \
        'Stop Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
    startserv

    store-procedure exitproc
        stopserv
    ~endm
    set-variable $exit-hook exitproc
    setv %vileserv-accept-commands true

Obviously (which I hadn't realised) this always starts vileserv when I
run vile.  I think it dates from many years ago when it was very handy
for me to have this ability where I was working as many people there
used the emacs equivalent and the SCCS system was set up to use it.

I've used it occasionally since but not very much and I had sort of
forgotten about it really.

I think my recent "why is that vileget running" may have just been
something that ran something that ran something that ran vileget.

However, while digging into all this I have come across a couple of
little oddities, mostly in the documentation.

1 - The are references (e.g. in the vileget man page) to a vileserv(3)
man page.  There isn't a vileserv(3) man page, at least not on any of
my several systems there isn't.  I do have a vileget man page though.
(I know I can generate the vileserv manual page using pod2man)

2 - I don't know where I got the dir.pl bit above, it seems as if it
should actually be directory.pm.  Is there any significance in the
different suffices .pl and .pm for perl extensions?  There is one
reference to dir.pl in directory.doc which presumably needs changing.

3 - In Vileserv.doc it says all you need to have in .vilerc is:-
        perl "use Vileserv"
Does this completely replace the lines above I have in my .vilerc?

I know this is all pretty trivial, it's just my OCD wanting to tidy up
loose ends! :-)

--
Chris Green