On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

> I *think* I'm beginning to understand all this, I suspect there's some
> bits of very old history of mine (and of vile) in all this.
>
> Firstly I don't quite know from where I got the following code (which is in
> my .vilerc):-
>
>     perl "Vile::register 'dir', 'dir', 'Dir Browser', 'dir.pl'"
>
>     perl "Vile::register 'startserv', 'Vileserv::start', \
>         'Start Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
>     perl "Vile::register 'stopserv', 'Vileserv::stop', \
>         'Stop Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
>     startserv
>
>     store-procedure exitproc
>         stopserv
>     ~endm
>     set-variable $exit-hook exitproc
>     setv %vileserv-accept-commands true
>
> Obviously (which I hadn't realised) this always starts vileserv when I
> run vile.  I think it dates from many years ago when it was very handy
> for me to have this ability where I was working as many people there
> used the emacs equivalent and the SCCS system was set up to use it.
>
> I've used it occasionally since but not very much and I had sort of
> forgotten about it really.
>
> I think my recent "why is that vileget running" may have just been
> something that ran something that ran something that ran vileget.
>

> However, while digging into all this I have come across a couple of
> little oddities, mostly in the documentation.
>
> 1 - The are references (e.g. in the vileget man page) to a vileserv(3)
> man page.  There isn't a vileserv(3) man page, at least not on any of
> my several systems there isn't.  I do have a vileget man page though.
> (I know I can generate the vileserv manual page using pod2man)
>
> 2 - I don't know where I got the dir.pl bit above, it seems as if it
> should actually be directory.pm.  Is there any significance in the
> different suffices .pl and .pm for perl extensions?  There is one
> reference to dir.pl in directory.doc which presumably needs changing.
>
> 3 - In Vileserv.doc it says all you need to have in .vilerc is:-
>         perl "use Vileserv"
> Does this completely replace the lines above I have in my .vilerc?
>

> I know this is all pretty trivial, it's just my OCD wanting to tidy up
> loose ends! :-)
>
> --
> Chris Green

All I can tell you for sure at this point is that my memory is no doubt
worse than yours.  :)

Do not think the "use Vileserv" replaces those other lines.  It does ring a
bell.  I'd have to dig up the docs and code to check what was required for
what.

The register commands just set it up so you can stop/start the vileserv
process from the vilerc or the Vile command prompt, e.g. ':startserv' or
':stopserv'.   The startserv cmd is then used to start the vileserv
process.  And of course the exit hook setup is meant to not leave the
vileserv process running without an active vile.   This was all intended
primary for use with Xvile of course.   In theory you would login, which
would launch your X window environment, which would launch Xvile, and then
you would use vileget to load files into the running xvile either from the
command line or even from a file manager.

(Remember X windows?   I can't seem to find it on my mac.   There's an
Xcode but it doesn't appear to be the same thing... ha ha.)

Regarding your unexpected vileget, have you checked your shell aliases?
Perhaps you have an old 'alias vi=vileget' or similar lurking somewhere?

Do not recall for sure but very possible that vileget might hang for a bit
if there is no vileserv process running.  Might explain the vileget taking
a while to die.

Hope this helps in some small, vague way.  :)

   Other Chris