On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 06:32:59PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 08:26:07PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 08:20:53PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > > I'm trying to build vile-9.8 on a Debian system where I have a shared
> > > hosting account with ssh access.
> > >
> > > I'm doing "./configure --prefix=$HOME" and it runs OK but there are
> > > couple of warnings.
> > >
> > > Firstly it can't find a good lex so it says:-
> > >     configure: WARNING: disabling build for lex-filters
> > > I don't think this is going to be an issue.
> > >
> > > However, later on in configure I get:-
> > >     configure: WARNING: Cannot find -ltermlib, -lcurses, or -ltermcap
> > > and then at link time there are loads of undefined references to
> > > tputs, tgoto, and a lot of other txxxxx symbols.
> > >
> > > So presumably I need to build one of those libraries, or is there
> > > something simpler I can do?
> > >
> > The system does have libncurses, it's in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. Is
> > it possible that directory isn't on the cc/linker search path?  How do
> > I add it?
>
> You need the development package.  The runtime package has a similarly named
> library file.
>
> For example (Debian/oldstable)
>
> libtinfo6 has
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtic.so.6
>
> libncurses-dev hs
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so
>
> The plain ".so" is what development packages link with, e.g., -ltinfo

There's some .so files buried deep down:-

    chrisisbd@caracal:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/zsh/5.7.1$ cd zsh
    chrisisbd@caracal:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/zsh/5.7.1/zsh$ ls
    attr.so      complist.so   example.so   nearcolor.so  pcre.so     system.so
   zleparameter.so
    cap.so       computil.so   files.so     net           regex.so
termcap.so   zprof.so
    clone.so     curses.so     langinfo.so  newuser.so    rlimits.so
terminfo.so  zpty.so
    compctl.so   datetime.so   mapfile.so   param         sched.so    zftp.so
   zselect.so
    complete.so  deltochar.so  mathfunc.so  parameter.so  stat.so     zle.so
   zutil.so

Will these allow me to build if I include that directory in the ld search path?
If so, how do I include that directory?

If not then I guess I'll have to build ncurses as desribed in the E-Mail before.

Thanks both.

--
Chris Green