On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 03:27:20PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 11:23:54AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > So, after partially understanding the syntax highlighting issue I now
> > see that entering accented characters is still broken.
> >
> > As reported a while ago vile 9.8v gets confused when you try to enter
> > accented characters (I use a Multi_key, so to enter, for example an e
> > with an acute accent I hit Multi_key, e, ').
> >
> > On vile 9.8u (and earlier, I've checked 9.8t too) entering accented
> > characters with the Multi_key works perfectly.  On 9.8v (as reported)
> > on entering an accented character an odd backslash sequence is echoed
> > and it's not the character entered.
> >
> > On vile 9.8w (from the Ubuntu repository) entering an accented
> > character does nothing if you enter just one accented character but if
> > you enter a second accented character that *does* get added.  This
> > continues, entering a series of accented characters every other one
> > actually gets inserted.

fwiw, this was introduced at the time that I fixed this bug:

 20220805 (w)
        + revise change for lins_chars() to handle UTF-8 in scripts, as that
          interfered with normal insertions (report by Chris Green).

and the "odd backslash" was from an earlier change to the same code:

        + modify lins_chars() to handle a case where a script inserts a UTF-8
          character (report by Thomas Dupond).

I think I'll have time later this week to re-revisit this (and make both
scripts and interactive editing work at the same time).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dic...@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net