On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 09:58:26AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> Never mind.  I figured it out.
>
> I copied the "ini" mode definition from modes.rc into my .vilerc, and
> changed it to remove the ".ini" file suffix from its list.  The file
> now comes up in conf mode.

that works.

I'd have just done something like this in .vilerc:

        define-mode ini
        ~with define-submode ini
                nodos
        ~endwith

or (assuming "define-mode ini" was already executed):

        define-submode ini nodos

possibly with a &sindex comparing $cwd to the places where I preferred using
that combination.

> paul
>
> I wrote:
>  > A .ini file is edited in [inimode].  It's also edited with DOS line
>  > endings, i.e. [inimode crlf].
>  >
>  > Normally when a file is in "crlf" mode, you can do "set nodos" before
>  > writing it out to eliminate the DOS line endings.
>  >
>  > But if the file is also in inimode, that doesn't work.
>  >
>  > So I have a .ini file, on linux, which keeps getting CRNL line endings
>  > every time I edit and write it.  Frustrating, since the program that reads
>  > it warns about this when it starts.
>  >
>  > Is there a way to prevent the INI filter (if that's what's doing it) from
>  > changing the file's line endings?
>  >
>  > Barring that, how do I disable an editing mode -- how can I tell vile
>  > that a .ini file isn't special at all.

delete-mode inimode

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dic...@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net