On 5/12/06, Steve Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Eric Arnold, May 12, 2006 7:51 AM

> I was wondering if anybody has thought about having an unsupported
> version of Vim which has various enhancements and patches that
> aren't yet approved for the official version of Vim?

As a roller of one of these alternate binary strains, I've found the
effort to keep each developer's patch in sync with the current Vim
version a huge headache.

Do you think it's feasible to have the developers themselves keep the
patches up to date via a central repository?  I.e. once a new vanilla
release level is reached, patches which fail will stay out of the R&D
version until the owner fixes them.

Besides, Bram is a world class coder and designer. If a patch is
decent code and fits the long-stated Vim philosophy (:help
design-goals), it will get included. Testing is our job. :)

The testing is indeed the issue.  For a non-trivial patch, it needs
testing in diverse situations and environments, meaning testing by
more people than just the developer.

My guess is that after this is done, the patch will be in better shape
to be accepted into the official version, providing it fits the design
goals.