Dominique Pelle wrote:

> My wishlist for vim-8.0:
>
> - being able to open very large files quickly and
>   without using too much memory.  This could possibly
>   be achieved by not loading the entire file immediately.
>   File could be loaded lazily when required.

This could perhaps have been useful ten years ago, but computers are now
fast enough not having to do this.

Lazy file loading causes quite a few problems:

- You don't know how many lines there are, the CTRL-G command would not
  work.
- If the file changes after starting to read it you get a big mess.
- If the file is deleted after starting to edit it the user may be very
  surprised he lost the text.  Recovery will also be impossible.
- You quickly end up loading the whole file anyway if you search for a
  pattern without a match, do "G", etc.

> - define spelling checker language for different
>   part of the file (probably using syntax file).
>   In the following example, I would like to
>   let the spelling checker know that msgid
>   strings are be English and msgstr are in
>   French.
>
>     msgid "Any authenticated user"
>     msgstr "Tout utilisateur authentifié"

This is in the todo list somewhere.  It's not difficult to implement,
mostly a question of how to define what language applies where.

> - option to ignore accent differences when searching
>   for strings (a bit like ":set ignorecase")
>   ex: searching for "cafe" could find "café"

/caf[[=e=]]

I don't think we want yet another option to change the meaning of
patterns.  It's difficult enough as it is.

--
Proof techniques #2: Proof by Oddity.
        SAMPLE: To prove that horses have an infinite number of legs.