John Beckett wrote:
[...]
Is folding really needed in a default modeline?

John

Folding may be useful in a modeline. (Don't know what you call a "default" modeline.) Depending on how the particular file is written, you may want to set foldmethod=marker (and which marker), foldmethod=syntax, foldmethod=indent, or default it to whatever (if anything) is set by the filetype-plugin.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Some of these fortunes are dated: I have an ADSL connection and a 96 gig HD, and I don't feel it's any special kind of achievement.
208. Your goals for the future are obtaining an ISDN connection and