Sebastian Menge wrote:
> Thanks for taking that burden, John. Here are my comments for
> tips 1 to 400. (ill continue later on)

Thanks for your comments. Here are some replies (#).

> 35: its not c or c++ specific: its "single line" vs "block comment".
> Same holds for many other languages.
# Let me know if any one disagrees with the following:
OK 35 Translate between single line comments and block comments

> 83: Howto indent source code (the program is binary for me)
> Or even better: omit "Howto", use "Indenting source code"
OK 83 Indenting source code

> 158, 113, 88: I don't like the suffix "- win32", howabout "under
> windows"? Or could we omit it since it will be in the windows
> category?
# Only 88 has "win32" in the proposed new title.
# I'm not sure what to do with it. Perhaps omit reference to Windows
# in the hope that the tip will be extended to discuss procedures
# that might apply to other systems.
OK 88 Start gvim maximized

> 152, 128, 26: don't make-it-one-word. Bad for search engine.
# Good point. I used '-' for its benign behaviour in a URL.
# We can use commas, or maybe just use incorrect grammar.
# What about the following? (Pick one of the alternatives, or
# suggest something else. You need to reply or I will forget
# to take any further action.)
26 Change end-of-line format for dos mac unix
26 Change end of line format for dos mac unix
128 Grep diff patch idutils and other Unix tools for Windows systems
128 Grep diff patch and other Unix tools for Windows systems
152 Spelling checkers Dutch English German Hungarian Yiddish
152 Spelling checkers for several languages
# (Is tip 152 relevant now?? Maybe delete?)

> 300 Don't  explain abbrev. in Title.
# Pick one of the following.
300 Make tags file for IDL
300 Make tags file for Interactive Data Language

> 312 im confused about usage of "and" and "or"
# I was perhaps trying too hard to avoid punctuation.
# Suggest something, maybe:
312 Copy, cut and paste

> 316  changed the meaning of the title.
> the tip is meant to search _in_ a script.
> I would simply omit the slashes
# I'm not sure you're right about this tip.
# I think the tip suggests how to search anything
# _using_ a script.

> 345: I like the "doing sth to achieve sth" style of title.
> This one is different. How about "Using vim with visual Studio?"
# But this tip really is about cygwin. The tip takes the compile
# errors from Visual Studio, then processes them to a form
# suitable for Vim's quickfix, using cygwin paths.
# Please think this over and decide if you really want a
# different title (I agree the following is not optimum).
345 Quickfix and Visual Studio and cygwin

> 376: delete
# As noted to Santhalus, I will add {{delete}} if no one
# objects within a day.

> Couldnt we edit your page directly? At least for obvious changes?
# I don't see how that could work in practice. You might want to
# add a comment (pretty useless unless you do). But as soon as we
# start doing free-form comments, I can't reasonably parse the text.
# We would have lots of conversations at various points in the file.
# I'm thinking that we will wrap this up pretty soon with just a
# few more mail messages. OK?

John