Santhalus wrote:
> I'm not sure about the "-ing" form. Do you want to change all
> titles to "-ing" or have rules when to keep each?

I don't have a firm view. My thinking is:
- Omit noise words where reasonable.
- Put point of tip close to beginning of title.

Consider my suggestion (which needs "Using" to make sense):
94 Using tags to browse programs

Alternatives would be:
94 Browsing programs with tags
94 Browse programs with tags

Maybe that's a good idea ... I'm warming to it. The reason I put "Using
tags..." was to have the punchline (tags) near the start of the title. But
maybe turning it around is better.

I'm getting muddled trying to pick between "Browsing" and "Browse". At
first, I thought "Browsing" was a little more friendly; "Browse" is rather
more of a direction ("You must browse programs with tags"). I'll look
through the titles list again and try to make a choice. Let me know if you
form a view after looking through the list again.

> IMO, the imperative form feels more tip-like, and the gerund
> would be more in place in a tutorial/reference style. This
> may be also tip dependent - some tips are not really tips but
> short tutorials. In that case, it seems better to keep a
> short title and "-ing" form. Maybe we could put them in a
> special "tutorial" namespace for better distinction in future?

I think any consideration of a tutorial namespace would come quite a bit
later. It seems a bit subtle to use "-ing" to imply a tutorial. Perhaps more
trouble than can be managed at this stage, and we might just have to pick
titles on a case-by-case basis.

>> 376 A totally useless tip...or is it ?
>> 376 A totally useless tip
>> --> 376 Build vim with your name included
>> # Sebastian has suggested deleting this tip.
>> # I will add {{delete}} if you don't object.
> What about making it more general, like:
> --> 376 Build Vim with custom features
> --> 376 Build your custom version of Vim
> I could not find a tip which would tell me how to do that
> (different build options, tweaking feature.h etc.). I thought
> this tip could make a good starting point, after some improvement.

I'm happy to use a bold title on a weak tip, in the hope that the tip will
evolve. But it seems overly cheeky to use anything like "Build Vim with
custom features" on tip 376. It might be years before someone deletes its
content and inserts something that remotely matches the title.

I'm thinking that the simplest action that achieves a reasonable result
would be to delete tip 376. Later, it would be great if someone devises some
tips on building Vim. They can make a new tip.

Will do:
OK 818 Integrate vim diff with TortoiseCVS
OK 819 Minimize and restore gvim under Windows using shortcut keys
OK 1228 Improve completion popup menu

John