You most likely need not worry about that error. Those errors occur when
you (for example) try to generate a font shape with macros like \emph{}
and \textbf{} in a context where those modifiers don't exist. For
example, your dissertation class might use a fancy font for the section
titles. That fancy font may not include shapes for italics (\textit{} or
\emph{}) or teletype typewritter (\texttt{}), and so if you try to use
them in the section title, LaTeX will complain and will probably end up
using the unmodified text.

The log will also tell you which file and which line is generating the
error. (the line number will be near the error, but you may have to
scroll up in the log to figure out which TeX file is causing the error)
If you can find the line, you should be able to determine where the
problem is. Just look for things like...

\section{This is some \texttt{text} and some other \emph{text} and some
$math$ in a section title}

Those different font shapes (generated from \textit, \emph, and $..$
might be incompatible with the font used for your dissertation's section
title.

--Ted