Till, thank you for being persistent!
When I created a simple file, the bug did not appear and successively I was
able to encircle the cause.

If anywhere in the file path or file name there is a blank space, typing
\cite{<F9> results in vim jumping back to esc mode and the cursor blinking
above {.

How to reproduce:
create a file
~/foo\ bla/testfile.tex
or
~/foobla/test\ file.tex
and any bibtex file with some content, which is linked in the testfile.

Type \cite{<F9> and observe the bug.

This bug even appears when a directory with blanks is linked:
Somethink like

ln -s ~/foo\ bla/ ~/blarg
cd blarg/
vi testfile.tex