On 2010-05-14, David Reed wrote:
> Thanks for such a fast reply.  I am not sure the picture is going to make it
> through due to some limitations on size of file.  Actually this is a great
> opportunity to use my newly acquire paste command from vim:
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Error detected while processing function Tex_RunLaTeX:
> line    7:
> E121: Undefined variable: s:target
> E15: Invalid expression: s:target
> line   10:
> E121: Undefined variable: s:target
> E116: Invalid arguments for function Tex_Debug
> line   12:
> E121: Undefined variable: s:target
> E116: Invalid arguments for function Tex_GetVarValue
> ('Tex_FormatDependency_'.s:target) !=
> ''
> E15: Invalid expression: Tex_GetVarValue('Tex_FormatDependency_'.s:target) !=
> ''
> line   21:
> E121: Undefined variable: dependency
> E116: Invalid arguments for function Tex_Debug
> line   25:
> E121: Undefined variable: dependency
> E116: Invalid arguments for function Tex_Strntok(dependency, ',', i) != ''
> E15: Invalid expression: Tex_Strntok(dependency, ',', i) != ''
> line   51:
> E121: Undefined variable: initTarget
> E15: Invalid expression: initTarget
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That worked well.

> I hope you can help me out with whats going on here.

I'll try.  I have to leave shortly, but I'll check back later
tonight or tomorrow.

Looking at the code, which is in ftplugin/latex-suite/compiler.vim,
it appears that s:target is supposed to be defined by the function
Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget().  Apparently that's not working, which
is leaving s:target undefined.  It's not immediately obvious to me
why that's failing, so I'm going to leave it for now.

> I also get some errors that flash as I open a .tex file but they are too quick
> for me to figure out.

Depending on the source of those errors, you should be able to
recall them by executing

    :messages

That may give us a better clue to what's going on.

If that doesn't help, you might try starting Vim with the -V option
(see ":help -V") which will show you the details of Vim's startup
sequence.  That could be a lot to wade through, but if you turn the
verbosity up to 15 (see ":help 'verbose'") and send the output to a
file, you could open that file later with Vim and just search for
"Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget", then follow the execution of that
function to find out why s:target isn't being set.

Regards,
Gary