Abbie --

One last thing to look for... Do you have any ".latexmain" files in your
project? I haven't tested it, but if you have a latexmain that has a
different name than your project, then maybe Vim-LaTeX wouldn't be able
to find it... (I would think this might break the entire latex build
though...) I'm just throwing spaghetti at the refrigerator here.

An alternative approach is to just use one of the many LaTeX build
scripts out there (e.g., "rubber" is a popular one as is "latexmk").
These scripts automatically figure out what needs to be done (as
Vim-LaTeX is supposed to) when you execute them once. You can then
configure Vim-LaTeX to call them on \ll, or you can tell Vim to use them
as your "make" program and execute them as you would a compiler within
Vim. Moreover, if Vim-LaTeX finds a "Makefile" in your project
directory, it will use it rather than its own build rules (e.g., it
calls "make pdf" intsead of "pdflatex ..." and counts on your Makefile
knowing what to do). There are several "LaTeX Makefiles" out there as
well (but few of them have the features of, say, rubber).

That approach is actually similar to what I do in my own projects. I
find that most of these latex build scripts aren't as full featured as I
need. For example, I want to put a MATLAB script "myfigure.m" in my
project directory and have the build script automatically call MATLAB to
run it if "myfigure.eps" doesn't exist and then automatically convert
"myfigure.eps" to "myfigure.png" if needed (e.g., if I'm using pdflatex
instead of latex). The build scripts can usually do some of that, and
they can be extended, but eventually it becomes easier for me to just
write my own. So I did my best to build a very full featured Makefile
(the only downside is that "make" takes a lot longer to run than, say,
perl or python). It does everything *I* need and doesn't take much
longer to run than Vim-LaTeX cycling through latex/bibtex/etc. Plus,
it's easy for me to call it from the command line ("make doc" does
everything, and "make dvi" or "make pdf" does things that make Vim-LaTeX
happy).

If you're interested, check out the "document_template" set of Makefiles
that I use for my publications (articles, slides, etc.):

http://hg.tedpavlic.com/templates/document_template/

(that's a Mercurial repository; if you want an unversioned snapshot of
the repo, click on "files" and then click on "bz2" "zip" or "gz" to get
your archive of choice)

You can find some sample docs constructed with that template at:

http://hg.tedpavlic.com/docs/

and at:

http://pubs.tedpavlic.com/hg/

(although the "Pavlic07" link was constructed using a different
approach; the rest use document_template as a base... and there will be
some additional publications there soon once they go from being
"accepted" to being in print)

So maybe that will give you some ideas... <?> Good luck --
Ted