Yakov Lerner wrote:
On 5/12/06, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I installed vim 7.0 on a Windows XP machine. My $HOME\_vimrc file contains,
among other things, the following line:

C:\>type "%HOME%\_vimrc" | find "color"
colors koehler

When I open gvim by directly executing C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\gvim.exe",
the colorscheme is set to koehler - all is fine. Thus I assume, that my
_vimrc is read.

But when I right click a file in the Windows Explorer and select "Edit
with Vim", the colorscheme isn't set and thus I assume that the %HOME%\_vimrc
isn't read at all. When I put all my settings in the %VIM%\_vimrc file, they
are honored.

According to ':help _viminit', vim will autoload
*one* of %HOME%/_vimrc or %VIM%/_vimrc , but not both !

Yep. And according to the help, %HOME%\_vimrc is to be
read first. Why is that not so?

Try command ':scriptname' in both situations. It will show
you exactly which scripts were loaded and which were not.

Hm.

At home, on linux, I get:

  1: /etc/vim/vimrc
[...]
 11: /home/alexander/.vimrc

Is "/etc/vim/vimrc" the same as $VIM\_vimrc?

To make vim work uniformly, you can put all your settings
into %HOME%\_vimrc, and make %VIM%/_vimrc
one-liner that says
         :source %HOME%\_vimrc

Hm, well, my $VIM\_vimrc is basically just the default _vimrc,
which is shipped by vim 7.0.

Also - why is it, that my _vimrc is read when I execute the
program directly and

Alexander Skwar
--
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single
man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.