Op maandag 19 juni 2006 17:04, schreef Adnan Ali:
> I am not such an advanced user of vi, still I like to
> stick with it for whatever text I do. I learn along my
> work.
>
> Today, I tried to edit some .html files with vi.
> However, when I do
> $vi index.html
> it opens the html file like a browser i.e. not the
> complete text along with html tags, but the *content*
> only.

That's weird, your 'vi' is probably not a 'vim', what does a 'vi'
without arguments say?

What is the output of:
:version
?

> When I did
> $vim index.html
> it does open the file with complete *text* including
> the tags, but I am convenient with this mode as I am
> used to working with the vi interface (? I don't what
> else could I use?).

Vim's commandset is a superset of vi's, and since you're asking a
question on the vim mailinglist, I suppose you mean the 'vim
interface'.

It's possible your 'vi' is another implementation of 'vi' than 'vim'. If
you answer the questions above, we can probably help you.

> So, I would be glad and appreciate if somebody would
> help me open my index.html with my *vi* so that I
> could edit the content and the tags.

What exactly do you mean with 'my *vi*', did you compile and install it
yourself? In that case, you should enter the entire path of 'your
*vi*'.

> Thanks in advance for any help!

No problem, though your problem is not yet entirely clear to me yet...

Regards,

Peter Palm