I believe that this may be a bug.  I hope that this is the proper way of
opening a new one.

I've poured over the documentation and asked the mailing list gods for
help, and this basic feature still does not work.  Here's the use case:

I have tried this on both Windows and Linux.  I'm certain that my
`vimrc` is being read.

Here's what I have in my `vimrc` file:

    set backup
    set backupskip="$HOME/gtd/wiki/*"   # tried both with and without
                                        # quotes

And here's how you too can recreate the bug:

1. I opened my $HOME/gtd/wiki directory within Vim using netrw.
2. I deleted the FrontPage~ doc using netrw
3. I then opened my FrontPage doc, edited it and saved it.
4. I then opened my $HOME/gtd/wiki directory again within Vim using netrw.

Unfortunately, the FrontPage~ doc was created again.  I have the potwiki
plugin installed, but I also tested this without any extra plugins and got
the same result.

Thanks!

Tom Purl