Bram: thank you for your explanation, I still have a lot to learn about
different terminology in vim. Every time I learn something new like
this, a whole avenue of new ways to work opens up, which really excites
me.

Scott: As someone else mentioned, it basically formats the current scope
(including the opening and closing braces). Often when I am writing code
I manage to break the auto indenting (missing brackets at the end of
conditionals, etc) and rather than going around and indenting each line
correctly I just write the code in a poorly formatted way and then do
=a{ at the end to clean it all up.

Things like a( work as well. I have no idea what Ruby syntax is like,
but if scope isn't marked by {} then it won't work! :)

My manager (also an AI Engineer) regularly gets annoyed when he is
watching me write some code and I manage to do things in vi ridiculously
fast. It seems like I'm even managing to convert some other people here
to using it; I was approached by another engineer last week and asked if
I thought vim would increase his productivity. Needless to say I said
yes immediately.

Max

Visual