Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to use \v by default for every
pattern.

It may help to remember that when you have the default 'magic' option set, Vim
only recognizes 5 special characters without backslash:
  ^
  $
  .
  *
  [ (if there is a matching ] to make a collection)

Every other special sequence needs a '\'.

regards,
Peter